Skip to main content

11 haplotype "I" May families

MAY surnamed DNA families
Haplotype "I"
This blog post has 23 pages

The second largest Haplotype group in our MAY DNA project, is "I"

This Haplotype, as the MAY "R1b" is also quite common in Europe.    Specially on the Scandinavian and German areas.      And in the east coast of both the Irish and British islands.  Likely to the invasions from that side of Europe.

In England is found frequently in areas that were under the Danelaw.  

The distribution of Haplotypes on May surname is as follows:


I personally tested my DNA, with Family tree DNA ...and the results are from them.
However, I also tested with Oxford Ancestors and Sorenson Genealogical Genetics.
 There I found a few more May surnamed DNA that I included.

http://www.smgf.org/pages/ydatabase.jspx

Besides the fact that some of the DNA markers are different

There is no way to comunicate with them, however, if you visit smgf website, their results are linked to their family trees, if you are familiar with your family and the information matches, you may look into it (they will be posted later).


Here some of the charts I made.    In the beginning DNA tests had only 10 Markers, then it went to 12, up to 25, then up to 37...up again to 67 and today is 111.

This charts I made with 12, are interesting, however, it will make you match so many people in the Databases.    People with Haplotype "I" are related to all the descendants of the first "I"

We suggest, if you are contemplating joining us in our project to go for at least 32 marker test.



Here you can see how close or far is each family.   family 21, has 5 tests....or family 76 only one.    Or how close 56 is to 68 and 36.


In this chart, you can see in the right bottom corner several at a distance of 450 years.


Charts of MAY surname DNA 
Haplotype "I" at 25 markers
Notice, test 1A and 68 are far from the center group
below details of the center area of the chart. 

 This is a chart of the DNA markers used for the comparison.
 Next is an estimate of how long ago, two different individuals, may have had a common ancestor.   As a rule, they mentioned about a mutation (a number change, up or down) every 150 years.    Between, my distant cousin and I (7 generations apart) we have one mutation on 37.    Our common ancestor lived from 1755 to 1815.
 This chart is another way at looking at the results
11 MAY surnamed Families
Index cards
DNA Haplotype "I"

On the left side, the information or May family description as it is in the DNA project website.
On the right side, May surnamed individuals listed in Chronological order, from all the test of the group

Family 56

Family 25

Family 68



Family 9


Family 98
Family 113
Family 1A

Family 21

Family 13
Family 36
Family 76




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The project continues. February 18/ 2017.    As of  February  2017 there were  338  individuals who have been tested their DNA as part of this study. We have a Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/May-families-genealogy-dna/167969983259666 The May DNA project continues.    I have made new charts based on more information. We have 313 May surnamed participants. We have identified 30 unrelated May families as of Dec 30 2015 and about 60 single tests. This is the May DNA project web page.  http://www.richmark.com/q/maytree/May-Reconstruction.html#What

May families 2,91,12,14 DNA R1b

DNA signatures of people with the MAY last name.       (18 pages in this post)   Family 2, Family 91, Family 12 and Family 14 This is Y-DNA test, and is passed from father to son   I started working on this, sort of Index cards, using the information on the DNA web site.  This in 2006, and it took about a couple of months.    You can check the source information at        http://www.richmark.com/q/maytree/May-Reconstruction.html   Mark May has been our webmaster.   I would like to mention, I am not a scientist expert on DNA.    My day job is as a Cartoonist.   I have worked in the Animation industry for many years.    In New York, Germany and Los Angeles.    And in Advertising agencies in Guatemala.      English is not my first language, so you may find some errors here and there. The cover: THE INDEX    The Haplogroup distribution of MAY families Breakdown of DNA families by DNA signature and also earliest date of known ancestor Descri

Let's start

About MAY families and DNA . For several years, I have been involved in what became a pretty large project.    Myself and other MAY started a Genealogical DNA project.        http://www.richmark.com/q/maytree/May-Reconstruction.html Toda y, as I start this Blog, we have 264 with the last name MAY or a variant  MAYE, MAYS, MEY,  participating in our project.      I been aware, if you visit the website, it seems to have so much information and navigating though all numbers and descriptions of May families feels complicated. Below you will find a chart, based on the information provided, of the Origin of the earlier MAY ancestor of each DNA family. And a Phylogenetic tree of R1b (the largest May haplogroup) at 25 markers.    In 2006, I decided to organize all the information, and created a sort of Index cards for every MAY DNA family based on their unique DNA signatures, and group the participants into their corresponding DNA family.     Hoping it will make it more efficien